It does not take great strength to do things, but it requires great strength to decide on what to do. ~ Elbert Hubbard
I am a licensed psychologist in Houston.
Are you looking to understand yourself better and improve your quality of life? But this feels overwhelming and you don't know where to start? It's hard to navigate difficult life situations on your own. Stress and difficult emotions can leave you blindsided. My passion and mission is to help you improve your life with solutions that work for you. I provide a warm, culturally sensitive, supportive therapeutic environment, to help you recognize your strengths and grow through personal difficulties.
psychotherapy, counseling, and consultation services specializing in the following areas:
- Stress, Anxiety and Panic
- Relationship Concerns and Couples Counseling
- Expat and Repat Support and Concerns: relocation, cultural adjustment, career transition, family transition, culturally blended families
- Adult Third Culture Kids
- Career Assessment and Counseling
- Life Transitions: career, marriage, divorce, parenthood, illness, major decisions. and others
- Building Self-Compassion and Personal Confidence
- Dating and Intimacy
- Grief and Loss
- Job Burnout
- Performance Enhancement
My Services Can Help With:
- Gaining understanding of yourself and the origin of concerns
- Healing from difficult life experiences
- Reduction of symptoms (such as depression, low motivation, anxiety, and stress)
- Learning important coping skills for difficult life transitions (for example - career, marriage, divorce, parenthood, grief and loss, living in a new culture)
- Improved personal relationships and overall well-being
- Improved Decision-Making and Communication Skills
- Enhanced professional productivity
Some helpful facts about my practice:
I'm a Houston psychologist with office location in Houston Upper Kirby area serving West University, River Oaks, Greenway Plaza, Downtown and Midtown Houston, Rice University, Montrose, Galleria, Bellaire, Meyerland, and the greater Houston area.
- My practice is designed for clients age 18 and older.
- I provide services for individuals and couples.
- I offer limited evening and Saturday appointments based on availability.
- I offer a sliding fee scale for full time students who can document financial need and provide student identification. Sliding fee space is based upon availability and for daytime appointments only.
If you are considering my services, I offer a free 10 minute preliminary phone consultation to determine if my practice is appropriate for your needs and answer any questions you may have. I can be reached at 713.364.8328 or via email at email@example.com.
Dr. Gortner Featured in the News
NPR Houston Matters: Counselor Helps Expats Adjust to Houston (Radio interview)
Dr. Gortner's Blog